This heat is a killer this summer, but today we have a refreshing drink recipe from Robin of Penn & Quill to help you stay cool.
Chia seeds. Let’s talk about my obsession.
It’s real. I’m obsessed.
I sprinkle that seed on everything.
So what are these little chia seeds I speak of? They’re the same little seeds that made your tweety chia pet grow big and strong back in 1995. Now we thought: if they can make a random creature grow big and strong, they can do the same for us!
Chia seeds are super rich in antioxidants and full of fiber, magnesium, zinc, iron and calcium. Do you see all that health?!
According to the USDA National Nutrient Database, one ounce of chia seeds (approximately 28 grams) contains 138 calories, 8 grams of fat, 12 grams of carbohydrate, 10 grams of fiber and 5 grams of protein.
When chia seeds are soaked in a liquid, they develop a jelly-like bubble texture. This extra added substance makes for a more filling drink that’ll leave you less hungry later on.
My recommendation: go shove this stuff in your mouth. I’d start with this incredible recipe; it’s absolutely perfect for cooling you down as the warmer weather starts to roll on in!
Chia Seed Strawberry Lemonade
- 1 cup of strawberries (stems cut off)
- Juice of 1 large lemon (or the juice of 2 small limes if you want to make it limeade)
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 16 ounces of water
- 1-2 Tablespoons of honey
Serves: 1 large mason jar
- Blend the strawberries, lemon juice, honey, and water in a blender and strain.
- Add the chia seeds into a tight container with a lid (mason jar recommended)
- Put the blended ingredients into the container as well.
- Shake it up so that all of the seeds are covered in the liquid.
- Refrigerate overnight. (You can drink it right away, but I’d definitely recommend waiting for it to thicken up.)
- Shake it and enjoy!
Thanks so much to Robin for sharing this fantastic drink! Make sure to go visit her at Penn and Quill! Happy Friday!